Thursday, January 28, 2010

160043 "Could not open the requested SVN filesystem"

After about a year since we set up subversion server, I needed to create a new project. So I ran
>svnadmin create myproject
We have svn hooked with apache - that is, https protocol.
When I tested the new url in a browser, I got the following error:
160043 "Could not open the requested SVN filesystem"

I found a lot of posts on the web that discussed this error message, but none suggested a solution other than upgrading svn and apache builds.
Since existing projects were working fine, I didn't see the need to upset my stable environment.

When I looked at apache logs, I saw the message:
Expected FS format between '1' and '3'; found format '4'

So that give me the hint - what search results for error 160043 were saying was correct, the version of apache's svn mod and svn server doesn't match. What they didn't tell me (or I missed the search result that did mention it) was that the easier fix is to create the project as follows:
>svnadmin create myproject --pre-1.5-compatible

This solved the problem for me.

No comments: